What is a CMS?
You have probably heard or read about it quite often: a CMS, or content management system. But what is it and do you need one?
In short, it is a system you use to manage a website. A company can generally do this itself. However different CMS systems suit different companies.
Here is what you should pay attention to when choosing a CMS.
What exactly is a CMS?
What visitors to your website or online shop get to see is determined at the backend of the site. It is known as the CMS, the content management system. It is used to manage the site, implement changes, change photos, programs or services, publish newsletters, etc.
Is it absolutely necessary for me to have a CMS?
No, it isn’t. You might prefer to outsource this to your web developer. Even though this is possible to do, it is cumbersome and is likely to cost you more than necessary. That is because whenever you want to change something, someone else will have to do it for you. It is much quicker and more cost-effective to make small changes yourself 24/7, whenever you want! Especially because it is not exactly rocket science.
This way you can save on the costs charged to you by developers.
As it is important to choose the right system for your particular situation, we will discuss the three most common ones here.
Types of CMS
- A free open source standard CMS such as WordPress, Joomla! and Magento Open Source.
- A premium standard CMS version such as Shopify and Magento e-commerce
- A premium custom CMS
It goes without saying that there are advantages and disadvantages to each of these systems. Which particular one is best for you will depend on the nature of your business, your requirements, wishes and preferences. As a web developer, we will look with you at which CMS best suits your needs. We will build the website and then help you to manage and update it yourself. Irrespective of the type of CMS you choose!
If you are keen to find out which CMS would be a smart choice for you, get in touch with us today!
Need some advice or do you have a custom software development project in mind? Contact us.
- Custom software. What it can possibly do is irrelevant, the important thing is that it does what it needs to.
- How custom software can save you money (but not always)
- Five reasons why users download (or immediately delete) your app
- Do you want to save money through automation? There are lots more possibilities than you’d think!